Get started today

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today!

Free Consultation

All people and businesses with income pay taxes.


Your focus is to maximize your revenue and income to the best of your ability. My focus is to ensure you pay the least amount of tax based on the income you or your business has earned.


Our Canadian tax systems have become more complicated to understand and deal with.


All decisions you make will affect your taxes to some degree. For example:

  • Deciding to have a home office
  • Deciding to rent a business premises
  • Deciding to buy/lease and use a vehicle in the business
  • Deciding to buy gas for your vehicle
  • Deciding to hire someone
  • Deciding to sell something
  • Deciding to sell outside of the province or country
  • Deciding to buy or lease equipment
  • Deciding…


As you can see, EVERYTHING MATTERS. Do you know the effect of your decisions on your business? The various tax issues your decision will cause? If you would like to learn more about the tax implications of your decisions we should talk.


Tax services include:

  • Income Tax return preparation for
    • Non-business Individuals
    • Proprietorships
    • Partnerships
    • Corporations
    • Estates
  • HST/GST Quarterly/Annual Filing
  • Payroll Tax Filing





Many people ask, “Do I need to hire an income tax professional?” It’s a good question. Here is my answer.


Many people do not understand the importance of their income tax responsibility. In Canada, we have a voluntary income tax system. This means Canada Revenue Agency does not know if you owe any income tax until after you file your tax return. As a result, Canada Revenue Agency has collection and enforcement powers for non-compliance.


You may have seen the Income Tax Act. It is about two inches thick. There are many sections, rules, regulations, calculations, and policies that your must follow. I have simplified all this information into 3 words. Two words are for you, and one word is for Canada Revenue Agency.


The 2 words for you are: REPORT AND PAY


The 1 word for Canada Customs and Revenue Agency is: COLLECT


The first word for you, REPORT, seems to get many people into trouble with Canada Revenue Agency. You must collect detailed information to report. Many of the tax problems I see relate to not keeping or recording detailed information. This means the information in the tax return had no support.


Employees had an advantage because they only require their T4 Slip in most tax situations. A none-business employee must file their income tax return by April 30th.


Canada Revenue Agency may disallow any unsupported amount. If Re-Assessed, you will have to pay interest and penalties on your outstanding income tax.


The second word for you, PAY, is also a stumbling block. Proprietors receive their income with no deductions for income tax. Often, Proprietors do not get professional advice at the start of their career. Nor do they keep proper records of expenses, or pay any income tax instalments. Instead, they wait until tax time.


When you realize how much income tax you owe, it is too late. You must pay your income tax liability by April 30th. You will be required to pay both interest and penalties on your outstanding income tax liability,


You will also pay a late filing penalty if you do not file your Proprietorship income tax by June 15th.


Note, you will not find the word “Settle,” “Wait” or “Negotiate anywhere in the Income Tax Act. The word you will find is: COLLECT.


Canada Revenue Agency has the right to garnishee up to 30% of your employment income if you are an employee.


But, if you are self-employed your income is really Accounts Receivable. In this case, Canada Revenue Agency can seize up to 100% of your revenue without obtaining a Court Order. They can also seize cash in your bank accounts, seize any unsecured assets you own, register security against your home or any other real property you own. As you can see, you do not want to get yourself into a position where you owe income tax arrears.


Some Proprietors are able to file their own income tax and HST returns correctly, and on time. These people ensure their income tax liability, or instalments get paid on time. There are computer programs that can assist in this process. However, there are still some reasons for using an income tax professional you may want to consider.


There are more Canada Revenue Agency taxes to deal with.




Should I charge HST?


You must register for an HST account with Canada Revenue Agency if both the following situations apply:

  • You make taxable sales in Canada
  • You are not a Small Supplier.


A Small Supplier refers to a person whose revenue, along with the revenue of all persons associated with that person, from worldwide was equal to or less than $30,000 in a calendar quarter, and over the last four consecutive calendar quarters.


If you exceed $30,000 in a single quarter, you are no longer a Small Supplier. You must register for HST.


If you exceed $30,000 over the previous 4 consecutive calendar quarters but not in a single quarter, you are no longer a Small Supplier. You must register for HST.


Canada Revenue Agency gives you 30 days to register.


Some businesses decide to get an HST number when they start. If this is the case, then you need to charge HST on all non-exempt sales.


As a registered HST person, you are also allowed to deduct HST as input credits on all taxable business expenses.


Here Is A Possible Problem With HST!


You registered with Canada Revenue Agency and collect HST. This is not your money. This money belongs to Canada Revenue Agency. You should keep it separate from your business money. However, most businesses comingle the HST collected with their revenue in their bank account.


It is easy to use the HST collected to pay business expenses or debts.
When it is time to remit the HST return there is not enough money left to pay the HST. This is especially a problem for Proprietors who choose to file HST annually.


This can lead to major problems with Canada Revenue Agency Collection. This is one creditor you do not want to have.






Have you hired any employees?


When you hire someone and pay a salary or wages you must withhold Source Deductions from that amount.


The Source Deductions you have to hold and remit are:

  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions
  • Employment Insurance (EI) premiums
  • Federal, Provincial or Territorial income tax


The Source Deductions you take from your employees are not your money. They belonged to the employee. Once deducted, they belong to Canada Revenue Agency. The deductions should be kept separate for your business money. As an employer, you are deemed to hold this money in trust.


In practice, businesses comingle Source Deductions collected in their bank account.


It is easy to use the Source Deductions collected to pay business expenses or debts. When it is time to remit the Source Deductions return there is not enough money to pay.

This can lead to major problems with Canada Revenue Agency Collection. This is one creditor you do not want to have.


If you do not pay the balance owing on time, Canada Revenue Agency Collection may issue a Notice of Assessment, and begin legal action to:

  • Garnish wages or other income sources
  • Seize and sell your assets
  • Use any other means under any applicable statutes or laws to collect an amount owing

A garnishment allows Canada Revenue Agency to collect funds payable to you by a third party.

Canada Revenue Agency Collection can also register a Certificate in the Federal Court of Canada for unpaid amounts. Once registered, the Certificate has the same force and effect as a judgment. Canada Revenue Agency Collection will notify you. If you do not pay the amount, they may get a writ and seize your assets, and have sold by the sheriff.


This is where I can help. I would like to learn more about you.  The best way to get connected is to click the link below and book a conversation.